1. Freedom in the Old Testament
A. The Exodus reminds us that God is a God of freedom. Genesis 15:13
B. The Sabbath Day reminds us that God provides freedom. Deuteronomy 5:12, 15
C. The Sabbath Year reminds us that God is a forgiving God. Deuteronomy 15:1-2
D. The Year of Jubilee reminds us that God sets captives free. Leviticus 25:8-10
2. Freedom in the New Testament Luke 4:16-20; John 8:31-36; Romans 3:23; Galatians 3:22; Romans 5:12
A. What does Jesus free us from?
1) He frees us from sinʼs curse. Galatians 3:13
2) He frees us from the lawʼs condemnation. Romans 8:1-2
3) He frees us from sinʼs power. Romans 6:22
4) He frees us from fear. Romans 8:15
5) He frees us from eternal condemnation. Romans 8:16-17
B. What does Jesus free us to?
1) He frees us to become slaves of righteousness. Romans 6:18
2) He frees us to be eternal children of God. Romans 8:16-17
3) He frees us to be pleasing to God. Ephesians 2:8-10; Galatians 5:13-14